Cross Registration FAQ

What is cross registration?

Cross registration provides students enrolled at any ARCHE member institution the opportunity to broaden their range of study and academic experience by attending courses offered by other ARCHE institutions.

What institutions participate in cross registration?

The 19 institutions that are members of ARCHE participate. The “home” institution is the institution at which you currently are enrolled in a program for which academic credit is awarded (the definition of “program” is determined by your institution). The “host” institution is the institution which you would like to attend to cross register for a course.

Whom should I contact on my campus to get information about cross registration?

The cross registration coordinator (see list here) is the campus administrator responsible for assisting students in understanding and completing the cross registration process, ensuring the completion and transmittal of application forms, and helping students meet their responsibilities under the program.

How do I know if I’m eligible to cross register?

You are eligible for cross registration if you are in good academic standing at your home institution and meet all program eligibility requirements set by the home and host institutions. At the time of cross registration, you must currently be enrolled at your home institution in at least one course at the undergraduate, graduate, or professional level in a program for which academic credit is awarded (the definition of “program” is determined by your institution). You also must meet program application deadlines: Fall: July 15   Spring: November 15    Summer (if applicable): April 15.

How do I cross register?

You must complete a cross registration application, following the instructions on the back of the form. The application must be signed by your academic advisor and by the cross registration coordinators at the home and host institutions. If the host institution course instructor’s or department’s approval is needed, you may be directed to obtain such approval. Once all approvals have been obtained, the host institution’s cross registration coordinator will register you for the approved course on a space-available basis after the host institution’s regularly enrolled or continuing students have had first priority for registration.

Where can I obtain a Cross Registration Application?

Cross Registration Applications are available on the ARCHE website. Forms are filled out by student for their home institution. Click on your school’s icon and you will be directed to your application. Instructions follow on submitting to your advisor. The advisor completes form and submits to your home institution cross registration coordinator.

What are the deadlines?

Check with your cross registration coordinator for the deadline at your home institution.  Cross registration coordinators must forward applications to potential host institutions by these deadlines.
Fall: July 15   Spring: November 15    Summer (if applicable): April 15

Most cross registration coordinators have earlier deadlines for students to submit applications at their home institutions.

Are there any restrictions on the types of courses for which I may cross register?

You may not cross register at another institution if the desired course is available at your home institution during the same semester. In addition, cross registration may not be used to register for non-credit continuing education courses, workshops, seminars, etc.

May I cross register for courses during the summer?

Some institutions may not allow cross registration during the summer (these institutions are listed on the application). Students from institutions not participating in cross registration during the summer must seek admission to the desired host institution as a transient student. You must contact the host institution’s admissions office for application information and deadlines.

When and where do I pay my tuition for a cross registration course?

Students may cross register so long as they pay all regular tuition and fees, when due, to the home institution. Special fees (lab, parking, etc.) normally paid by the host institution’s students must be paid to the host institution by cross registration students. A host institution also may assess visiting students certain security deposits for equipment that usually is leased to the host institution’s students.

What is my student status at the host institution?

If you register for a course through cross registration, you are considered a visiting student (which does not constitute regular admission to the host institution).

What are the provisions for disabled students?

Disabled students must submit any requests for accommodations needed for purposes of cross registration to the disability services coordinator at their home institution. If the disability services coordinator at the home institution determines that accommodations are appropriate, he/she will send a letter detailing the approved accommodations to the disability services coordinator at the host institution.

What is the maximum number of courses I can take through cross registration?

An undergraduate student may cross register for no more than two courses per semester at any host institution(s), and for no more than a total of 18 semester hours during his or her entire undergraduate experience. Graduate or professional students may not exceed a cumulative cross-registration course total equal to 15% of the total courses taken during their graduate experience. Any student’s combined course load for a semester at both the home and host institutions may not exceed the full-time semester course load allowable at the home institution.

How are grades for cross registration courses handled?

As a cross registration student, you are graded according to the academic standards and grading practices of the host institution. Upon completion of the course, the cross registration coordinator of the host institution shall ensure that your transcript is sent to the cross registration coordinator of your home institution for inclusion on your official transcript. Please check with your home institution on how they process the cross registered courses as credit. Seniors who are graduating at the end of the semester in which they are cross registered shall be responsible for contacting the host institution coordinator to obtain an alternate grade report to provide to the home institution.