ARCHE Interlibrary Loan Guidelines
Interlibrary cooperation has existed among the libraries of ARCHE (formerly the University Center in Georgia), since the founding of the organization in 1938. Over the years, ARCHE ILL procedures have been modified to reflect changes in the philosophy of ILL and strides in technology. Full descriptions of member institutions’ ILL policies are at https://illpolicies.oclc.org or on individual library Web pages.
In keeping with the special relations shared among consortial members, the guidelines outlined below take precedence over the general ILL policies of ARCHE libraries. In providing consortial ILL services, ARCHE libraries:
- Use OCLC WorldCat Resource Sharing to send and respond to ILL requests, either directly, or indirectly via ILL management systems such as ILLiad or Clio.
- Lend as liberally as possible to other ARCHE libraries, considering extraordinary requests on a case-by-case basis rather than applying blanket restrictions.
- Give incoming ARCHE requests priority handling, usually responding within two working days and delivering material in four working days.
- Further expedite the processing of incoming rush requests, responding to and, if at all possible, filling such requests before the given deadline.
- Send returnable items (such as books or microforms) via the ARCHE van. Note: Returnable items should be securely rubber-banded together by institution and clearly labeled, using the standard ARCHE routing slip. Send non-returnable items (such as copies of articles or book chapters)
- Send non-returnable items (such as copies of articles or book chapters) electronically whenever possible.
- Give ARCHE requests generous loan periods and respond generously to renewal requests from other ARCHE libraries.
- Communicate service or personnel changes, missing items or other information as needed via listserv (ARCHE-ILL-ILU@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU). This address, available only to its members, reaches designated members of the ARCHE ILL-ILU Committee as well as additional library sharing staff at ARCHE institutions.
ARCHE ILL-ILU Committee
The earliest known standardized instructions for the handling of ARCHE ILL material can be found in University Center in Georgia Truck Delivery of Interlibrary Loans and Photocopies. 1 This document was compiled in anticipation of the van delivery system, which began running between Athens and Atlanta in October 1970. 2
1 Approved by the University Center Library Advisory Committee, August 4, 1970.
2 Interlibrary Loan Annual Report, University of Georgia, 1970-1971.